Re: Modernization and multi-member files

fixed

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 10:21 -0400, Michael Ryan wrote:
It seems to me that this debate (i DB2 vs. all other RDBMS) is really
about peer pressure. If you believe what IDUG and folks think, you
have one belief system. If you believe what the majority *on this
list* believe, you have a different belief system. Other RDBMS' 'lock'
one into one access method; i DB2 allows that and others. That's the
major difference. Peer pressure...it's why I started smoking. Powerful
stuff. :) Took me 30 years to quit.

I think an important factor explaining the heatedness of this debate is
IBM's decision to apply the name name DB2 to the built-in database on
our favourite platform. Compare IBM's willingness to create new names
for the platform itself. Oh, the irony.

Cheers,
Terry.