Re: CHGPF

fixed

If you change certain attributes, new logicals may need to be
created.

Suppose you changed the length of field that was a
key in a logical ? That logical would have to be rebuilt.

What would happen if you deleted a field that had logicals
built over that name ? (I have never tried that one).

Any time you start changing a file, you need to be very
aware of the end results. Even the help screen says to
"make a copy" prior to making any changes.

David FOXWELL wrote:

Hi all,

I copied this text from the IBM page concerning the CHGPF command :

If the access path attributes are changed or the attributes of one of the key fields in the format are changed, a new access path may need to be built.

Could anyone elaborate on this? What does MAY NEED TO BE mean exactly ? Does anyone know of a condition where the CHGPF will not work ?

Thanks.