Re: Convert .PDF in the IFS back to spooled *file format

fixed

2008/6/24 <jmoreno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hello everyone,

Is there a way to convert .PDF files back to spooled *file format

We use a number of utilities to convert from spooled format to .PDF format
and place those in the IFS.
once in a blue moon we need to convert one of those back to spooled *file
format.

If you have PDF capable printers there is a a fairly straightforward solution.

First create a *USERASCII printer file.

CRTPRTF FILE(QGPL/PDFASCII) DEVTYPE(*USERASCII)

Then FTP the PDF into the *USERASCII file in BINary format. You can do
this all from your System i

ftp myi
bin
put /path/to/pdf /qsys.lib/qgpl.lib/pdfascii.file

The system recognises this action and duly creates a spooled file in
the job doing the FTP. You can't view the spooled file - it's
essentially still the PDF in a *USERASCII wrapper, but it will print
on suitable printers. Our HP lasers seem to cope fine.

Regards, Martin