Steve,

My experience with EDI is that while yes in theory you could remove one
vendor's product and replace it with another, how they each handle the
mapping and also how it links to your applications may differ greatly.
Essentially all EDI packages can "handle" the document standards.

What you'd need is some kind of import/export of the mapping data
though, since the mapping is usually handled by the specific package and
not stored in some easily translatable format, although today it's
possible that it all could be in XML and a heckuva lot easier to move
between EDI packages.

Admittedly it's been awhile since I've had to deal with EDI regularly
and I am thankful for that. : )

KEVIN MORT / Solutions Architect
Arrow Enterprise Computing Solutions
MIDMARKET GROUP

ph: 954.442.9436
fax: 954.442.9545

email: kmort@xxxxxxxxx
www.arrowecs.com

date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 13:31:10 -0400
from: "Steve Richter" <stephenrichter@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: is edi translator software difficult to write? was: edi
vendorcomplaining