You could create a new member in the physical for that data every time but there is a limit on the number of members a physical can have. If you're going to copy it out to a file first, then why not clone the original physical and add a date and time or time stamp to the clone. Then you could control what's in there, how long it stays and not have to worry about the number of members.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Al Mac Wheel
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 1:52 AM
To: Midrange-L
Subject: Copy Member

I'm n V5R1.

I want to copy a logical member to a new member with duplicate contents,
with different name, to use in new programs I want to test and tweak
outside the job stream. I do not have source code for the old logical
member. I was looking for something like CPYLFM.

A job stream, of a ton of programs, creates a logical file member.
Various programs access it via OVRDBF, they populate its physical records,
update them, use them, in the job stream, leave the physical data in
clear the logical member, and delete the overrides.

I want to leave the job stream as is, except before the clearing, copy the
logical member to a new member with identical contents, but different
to use in new programs to be tested and tweaked outside the job stream.

Is that doable?
Al Macintyre