Hi, Rob!
Just a quick follow-up......Since the V6R1 is not an official release
identifier, the GSD tool has been recently modified to refer to i 6.1.
So, to get a correct search now, you'll need to go to the 'Advanced
Search'
screen and search on an exact phrase match of "i 6.1" instead. Today,
this comes back with 227 applications. (Entering "i 6.1" on the 'Basic
Search' seems to return a mix of i and AIX 6.1 matches. )

Sorry for any confusion.....Hope this helps!

someone at IBM...
Dept 461 - ISV Enablement for System i, Mgr

Forwarded by Rob Berendt/DEKKO on 05/15/2008 10:20

"Konrad Underkofler" <kdunderk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

<midrange-l@midrang

05/15/2008 09:33 AM e.com>
cc

Please respond to Subject

Midrange Systems Technical Discussion New i, iSeries,
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx> AS/400 Suggestions

We are looking at replacing our nice IBM 270 with a new system. Our needs
are low end (relatively) and this will probably be our last IBM box but we
do want to maximize our HA and DR abilities without adding the complexity
of a CBU box and software. In short we need a good quick backup and
restore. We do have legacy printers, 3 twinax line printers and 2 IPDS IBM
4400 label printers. Pricing on the PSF/400 feature seems weird at the
P05
tier so the 4400's probably have to go but we are comfortable with Zebra
printers as a replacement. We would like to keep the twinax printers if
possible since they are workhorses with a fan base.

Currently it looks like the 515 is a better deal than the new M15 Power 6
machine. We can get a two processor 515 with 8 drives for not much more
than the single processor M15 with 6 drives. The 515 also allows us to
attach a LTO4 drive externally although I now see we can add an internal
LTO4 to the M15. Moving up on the Power 6 models explodes cost pretty
rapidly so the M15 appears to be the only practical choice in that area.
Unfortunately we have been told the last date to order the 515 is June
20th
so we need to make a decision soon. Not sure why IBM is discontinuing a
machine that is far more appealing to the existing AS/400 base than the
new
models, both models are not very expandable but the M15 has some real
limitations (the twinax issue).

Finally it appears that we need v5r4 since our software vendor is legacy
with vague plans on supporting v6r1.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks for any input!

Konrad