The catch-all messages are defined to force a D=Dump when the job runs with its INQMSGRPY [Inquiry Message Reply Handling] setting established with *SYSRPYL {System Reply List defines the response]. The rationale is that properly coded programs would not /fall/ into the generic failure conditions for the language, due to the program being coded to respond to expected-as-possible recoverable error conditions. And as such the developer probably wants the unexpected failure condition to effect a DUMP so the problem will be logged and thus available for review. The other case is internal\defect, which a failure of the language itself, for which the developer has little or no control; thus the dump would also occur with that job setting if the language run-time fails.

The default inquiry reply handling however is *RQD [Required ??] whereby a generic failure would instead interrupt and ask either the user or the operator how to handle the situation. When the user is given the option, many developers find the typical user response frustrating, in that they normally choose an I=Ignore type of response when available -- quite possibly creating havoc for failed assumptions later in the code; i.e. whereby the failed but /ignored/ operation is improperly inferred to have completed in later logic.

It probably would have been /better/ if the other languages, those other than CL, would have had [a defined\known as] a more specific range like the messages intended to be trapped for general CLP\CLLE failures. At least and maybe only, trapped with the generic CPA0700, are the CPA0701 for a CLP and the CPA0702 for a CL module. So CL is a bit less generic than the other language.

Regards, Chuck

Jerry Draper wrote:
These messages appear to be a default on a new system. It seems
rather extensive. There are catch-all messages.

10 CPA0700 D *NONE
20 RPG0000 D *NONE
30 CBE0000 D *NONE
40 PLI0000 D *NONE