Add to that the phrase "I don't think ..." that so many people use to start a sentence. It may be true of course, but why start a conversation by admitting it?
(They really mean "I don't believe...", right?)

Dunfee, Randy wrote:
The phrase is NOT a colloquialism - it is simply incorrect, and I cringe
every time I hear it ("irregardless" of the speaker's age or level of
education...lol...). It is never used colloquially to mean the very
opposite of itself, as when someone says something is "bad", meaning it
is really very good/cool. In most cases, it is uttered purely out of
ignorance, not laziness. After all, how much harder is it to say "I
couldn't care less"? Go ahead, call someone on it the next time you
hear it (if you know him/her well enough). Chances are, that person
won't have the slightest idea what you're talking about. American
English grammar, spelling, and syntax are going down the cr@pper, and
your local newspaper is an excellent example.
-Randy