It's funny you should mention this. It reminds me of
something else that proves IBM is basically just a
services company these days. A while back I became
aware of an incident where an IBM employee quoted a
customer in Florida $8,000 for some work, because most
of the functions they wanted were already built into
i5/OS. IBM Software Group quoted this same customer
$250,000 for the "project". The employee who quoted
the "i" solution for $8,000 was given a hard time
about this.

That employee was disgusted at being given grief for
trying to do what was in the best interests of IBM's
customer, and had too much integrity to stand for
this. That employee left IBM. I'm sure they are many
other IBM'ers who could tell you similar stories.

That employee was NOT the one who told me about this -
that came from a couple of other IBM'ers who were
equally disgusted with this money grubbing "screw the
customer" approach.

IBM is a business, not a charity, and what they do is
often NOT in the best interests of their customers.
Or morally justifiable.

...Neil

--- sjl <sjl_abc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Neil -

I would add that it would be nice if IBM Global
Services division 'just
worked'.

I have heard many horror stories of customers who
have been hoodwinked by
them, nickle-and-dimed to death with additional
charges that 'aren't covered
in the SLA'.

IMO, IGS means 'I Got Suckered'.

- sjl

Neil Palmer, Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

(This account not monitored for personal mail,
remove the last two letters before @ for that)