From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jerry Adams
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 10:02 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: COMMON Requirements (was IBM investment in i)

The old COMMON Requirements system of which Mike spoke was an intensive
at conference-only process. By the end of the conference we (the
attendees) had a list of the submissions and a ballot to return to
COMMON. For some reason that fell by the way side some years ago.

Last year COMMON began to revamp and revitalize (and resuscitate) the
process. The process is no longer an at conference only process, nor is
it limited to COMMON members. The first phase was rolled out early this
year as part of iSociety. One can access the Requirements site from
many locations, such as www.common.org and pushing the "iSociety" button
at the top of the page. In addition, any site, such as Midrange.com
(thanks, David) that features the iSociety portal can select the
"iSociety Requirements" option.

iSociety does require a log-in, but it is free (COMMON membership is not
required). Once there one can enter, view, and rate (vote) on a
submission. Periodically (three or four times a year) these
requirements are reviewed by a committee of COMMON and IBM; twice in
face-to-face meetings, once or twice via conference call. We had, if I
recall correctly, over thirty requirements submitted at the Nashville
conference, which is where we officially rolled it out. I will tell you
that to IBM the most important part of the submission is the "Impact on
Your Business" section.

The process is not a finished product; it will evolve as COMMON gets
feedback regarding it. One of the pieces that we know needs to be done
(and are working on) is a feedback mechanism; feedback to both the
submitter and the System i community as a whole. When Requirements was
an at conference experience, one of the things one got at the Soundoff
session (IIRC) was IBM's responses to the previous conferences
requirements submissions.

Thanks.

Jerry C. Adams