From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lukas Beeler
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 2:17 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: IBM investment in i

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 5:10 PM, Pat Barber <mboceanside@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
These BPs are "not" selling to small accounts. They have no financial
interest
in a small 520/525 account. When these small starter systems started
dying off, there was nobody there to pick up the slack.

We're not a big IBM BP, but a small one. The biggest machine we've
sold to date was a 525 with an EXP24 and two PCI expansion units - and
we mostly sell very baseline 515 machines.

However, this is not easy, which is IBMs fault.

* HW prices are far too high. 20k CHF (~= 20k US$) for a baseline 515
including HW/SW Maintenance. Performance of a baseline 515 is
_extremely_ slow, can be compared to a laptop
* High prices for HW/SW maintenance. e.G. 3Y 7x24 for up to 3-5kCHF,
depending on region etc.
* Missing self-managed features (e.G. Automatic Updates)
* No Marketing from IBM, no Market presence

We usually get the one or the other new customer per year, but it
could be a lot better.