Are you trying to use SFTP or FTP with SSL. We ended using a third
party product for our SFTP needs. The regular FTP client on the Iseries
only does FTP with SSL.

Overview of SFTP, FTPS, SCP and FTP:

SFTP:

"sftp is an interactive file transfer program, similar to ftp, which
performs all operations over an encrypted ssh transport".

SFTP is part of the OpenSSH standard. Along with SSH you have
capabilities to use commands such as SCP, SFTP, etc. So....SFTP is very
secure because each packet is encrypted and compressed while sending is
taking place. It utilizes public key authentication and compression. The
Abbreviation SFTP nowadays invariably means Secure File Transfer
Protocol, however there is another protocol with the same abbreviation
(Simple File Transfer Protocol). So lets not get confused.

Differences between FTP, SFTP and FTPS:

Why not just use FTP? Why should I use Secure FTP instead of FTP? Why is
SFTP better than FTP? <!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->

FTP Vs SFTP Vs FTPS Vs SCP:

FTP (File Transfer Protocol) does not take any precautions to protect
information transmitted during a session. This includes your username,
password, and any files transmitted.

SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol) is a secure replacement for FTP
(File Transfer Protocol) based on the Secure Shell protocol. Unlike FTP,
SFTP encrypts both commands and data providing effective protection
against common network security risks. SSH Client and Server provide
both command-line SFTP tools and a graphical user interface for Windows
users. SFTP encrypts the session, preventing the casual detection of
your username, password or anything you've transmitted.

The major reason for implementing SFTP versus FTP is security. FTP is
not even remotely secure. During an FTP session, your username and
password are transmitted in clear text. If someone is eavesdropping, it
is not difficult for them to log your FTP username and password.

In FTP all data is passed back and forth between the client and server
without the use of encryption. This makes it possible for an
eavesdropper to listen in and retrieve your confidential information
including login details. With SFTP all the data is encrypted before it
is sent across the network.

SFTP is not the same as FTP/S; the latter implements the original FTP
protocol through a separately-created secure tunnel.

FTPS (FTP-SSL) is a real ftp that uses TSL/SSL to encrypt the control
session and if required the data session. With FTPS the control session
is always encrypted, but the data session might not be. Why is this?
Because with the control session encrypted the authentication is
protected and you always want this (normal ftp uses clear text). If you
are NOT pre-encrypting the file, you want the data session encrypted so
that the file is encrypted while the data is in flight. However, if you
are pre-encrypting the file then you do not need to have the data
connection encrypted as you do not need to add the overhead of
encrypting the data connection, since the file is already encrypted.
Understand that SFTP is SSH file transfer and FTPS is FTP with SSL, FTPS
is a file transport layer on top of SSL or TLS. The FTPS adds
SSL-enabled FTP send and receive capabilities, uses the FTP protocol to
transfer files to and from SSL-enabled FTP servers.