Charles,

You said:

They could.

On the other hand, using logicals with DTAMBRS(*ALL), you could easily write an application that
doesn't know that it's working with a mult-membered file. <<<

If you're working with a real RDBMS you don't need to nor want to do such a thing. Your program or query tool just sees the ONE table name. How the DBA set up the table for performance or availability is not something the programmer or query person has to worry about. Nor should they as that's one of the selling points of an RDBMS in the first place. And, the DBA uses a CREATE TABLE (only ONE table) statement not some other non-relational construct. In the real RDBMS world, programmers and query writers have long since not had to worry about table construction or access methods. I know the i5 world says you don't have to but I sure see a lot of questions on here about "file like" access methods.

I so wish die-hard DB2/400 folks that think their platform is the "bees knees" could spend some time working on those RDBMS that are considered viable commercial RDBMs. Then they could better understand what I'm talking about and see how DB2/400 really stacks up.

Dave