Re: Anti-virus for i5OS

fixed

Joe Pluta wrote:
And no amount of anti-virus software will protect you from that.

Far too true.

So in general anti-virus software protects you from things you could
be (and should be) protecting yourself against with good security practices, while at the same time giving you a sense of safety that
can easily be undermined by any aggressively stupid user.

Well, yes and no. AV software serves a useful role, IMO ... because
sometimes it's hard to tell when code is actually going to be installed
(which, imo, is a big problem in an of itself). A few days ago, A
co-worked loaned me a flash drive to move some software around. As soon
as I inserted the flash drive, the system recognized two devices ... the
flash drive and a 'CD ROM'. It then proceeded to install software that
was on the 'CD ROM' automatically. It didn't ask me if I wanted to
install it, it just started to install it.

This kind of thing is what AV software protects against.

david