When we consolidated all of our remote systems on to one machine we did
not use LPARs for the most part. We had 20+ machines, most running BPCS.
We did the library list deal. But then again, we were well prepared
because a copy of all their data and programs were on one central
development machine, thus the central development machine had to use
library lists. And, thus, library lists were pretty well enforced out at
the plants. After consolidation we did use LPARs for some speciality
items, like Development vs Production, Web server, a speciality Domino
server, that sort of rot.
Now were consolidating all those databases into one. We're currently in
the centralizing phase of that ebb and flow that occasionally cycles
around this company.
Some vendors charge by lpar, some don't.
You need to communicate in writing.
- License fees for solution one, versus solution two.
- Time to ensure that library lists will work and some moron didn't hard
code something (like some extremely minor vendor issues we are having)
- Time to load up multiple copies of i5/os and the time to load PTF's etc.
- Disk space requirements and other hardware requirements (assuming that
you are not waiting for V6R1 and virtual lpars) for multiple lpars vs one
lpar.
- Ease of use of authorization lists to secure data from each other versus
requiring separate signons (and syncing in passwords and that rot).
Anything else.
Once you've submitted the facts and they make their decision then
implement it and stress out over something else. You could ask them why
they didn't choose your recommended solution for the sake of understanding
your communication skills. (Make it sound like you're trying to improve
yourself and not that they are idiots.)
Dumb terminals can still work but will require separate twinax cards.
However, it's past time to dump them. It's been over 2 decades since I
used the argument that we need to purchase an AS/400 versus going to Wang
from the S/36 based on the fact that we have over $250k in twinax devices.
Now twinax is almost all gone. And if we lost it next week, no one would
notice.