Converting the existing code by changing QHFOPNSF, QHFWRTSF and QHFCLOSF to open(), write() and close() would certainly work. The result would be compatible with the IFS, and would also perform a little bit better.

Frankly, it'd also make the code simpler. QHFOPNSF and friends were very ugly APIs, IMHO.

However, there are certainly other people who have written host print transform utilities! Off the top of my head, I know Uzaemon has a free SPL2STMF tool that uses the HPT APIs to convert to a stream file. It might be easier to just grab an existing tool rather than trying to re-code what you have.

Uzaemon's site:
http://homepage1.nifty.com/uzaemon/

Joe Wells wrote:
First, forgive me if this needs to be posted elsewhere......

For many years, I have used HPTTOFLR to convert spool files to TIFFs and it
has worked very well.

HPTTOFLR writes the tiff to a folder in QDLS. I would really like to be
able to write to the IFS instead in order to remove the naming constraints
imposed by QDLS.

HPTTOFLR is a C program (never written a C program in my life!) and uses the
following HFS APIs -
QHFOPNSF (Open a stream file) QHFWRTSF (Write to a stream file) QHFCLOSF (Close a stream file)
It seems reasonable to me that I could use the Open, Write and Close APIs in
place of these.

Before embarking on this journey, I have a few questions -
1) Is this a reasonable thought?
2) Has anyone already done this?
3) Is there a better way to create TIFFs from a spool file?

Thanks,

Joe

p.s. In the absence of a better solution, I can always create the file in
QDLS with a dummy name and then copy it to the IFS with the desired name.