I expect that in a couple weeks Aaron. I would definitely like that tool.

On Nov 28, 2007 9:32 AM, Aaron Bartell <albartell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Very cool idea!

This program does the more heavy work such as determining the beginning
and
end of one save. For example by analyzing the timestamp that the
triggerprogram adds to each record it puts in the dataqueue in combination
with the sequence number of each record.

I wonder if SVN could be doing more of the heavy work on this. Don't
bother
trying to figure out if it changed, just submit it to SVN and it will do
the
figuring. I would make sure to strip off the sequence and date area so
that
didn't alter the source file comparison in SVN. For example, if somebody
resequences the member then SVN will show that ALL lines of code changed -
ouch.

After the trigger executes I would have it immediately make a copy of the
source file out to a temp area in the IFS so an exact image was saved that
could be sync'd back to SVN. This protects against the programmer making
another change before the syncing process is complete (i.e. network
connection might be down, SVN server might be down, connection might be
slow, etc).

Oh man, now I have to convince myself NOT to try and code this before I
get
my other projects out of the way. This would be such a cool project -
maybe
my next open source tool! :-)

The best part is that the SVN tooling comes with a web browser "view diff"
right out of the box (at least the one we use does). So your programmers
wouldn't even have to load the WDSC/Eclipse SVN plugin if they were
strictly
a PDM/SEU type programmer.

Fun fun!
Aaron Bartell