My actual hands-on experience with EGL is limited, though I can base most of
my comments without even having to touch it. I don't want to get into a
barking match about whether or not Java is complex for RPG developers, but
what I will say is that in the end you are still required to run Java which
inherrently means you need to run an app server. My problem is the software
stack involved in the EGL model vs. what IBM has delivered in the past.

With that said, I agree EGL *looks* to be the best approach IBM has done so
far on the web front.

You can use JSP Model 2 and write your own plumbing

I would consider this an acceptable model, but in the same breath we
shouldn't been writing plumbing code - we should be getting a tool from IBM
that does it for us in a software stack that doesn't require application
servers.

You can create a web page that shows a list of orders in about a minute.

This is cool, IBM is getting closer to Visual Studio ease of use. The
problem with this is that the code usually isn't enterprise ready (DB conn
pooling and stuff like that). Some apps on the iSeries don't need to be
enterprise level, but I would say that MOST do.

All without a single line of Java code.

I read your article in IBMsystemsmag.com just so I could debate with you
accordingly :-) In that article you WERE writing plumbing code to make your
app work how you had hoped. I believe it was more on the JavaScript side
and NOT Java, but in the end it isn't this panacea you keep declaring it is.

I don't get it. If the issue is ease of development, EGL is the answer.
What are you waiting for?

I get the feeling you really like this tool IBM has come out with even
though we both know they could have done it completely in the native
RPG/C/C++ software stack. That's my big issue I guess. Sure this EGL stuff
looks like the next great thing, but I keep getting hung up on wanting to
pursue IBM for what they can and SHOULD be developing for the iSeries. I
agree I have to be careful on that hang-up because some progress is better
than none. My clash with you is that you are putting SO much emphasis on
this as the golden ticket when in my mind you haven't been as objective as
the Joe Pluta I know. Is that a fair statement?

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com