1 - I have an lpar with neither QU1, nor ST1 installed. It has STRQRY.
However it is missing options that I see with STRQRY on a lpar with both.
Actually that's the first time I can ever recall using STRQRY. Now, QU1
is what gives you WRKQRY. I use that all the time. At first I thought
you were confused as to which command was which. :-)

2 - ST1 is what gives you imbedded SQL in your HLL programs like COBOL and
RPGLE. Granted, you could do it with SQL-CLI but IMHO that raises the
difficulty of maintenance. Others will disagree and say that is knowledge
gained and can be put to use in learning ODBC connectivity from client
server programming. So, folks, I think I covered both ends of that
spectrum and let's not clutter up this thread with that tangent.

3 - STRSQL comes from ST1. Nice to have, but honestly the freebie iNav
gives you the capability to run SQL scripts. And reformatting the columns
on the fly is much easier.

4 - If I had to choose between QU1 and ST1 I'd go for ST1 mainly for the
imbedded programming. ST1 also has STRQM, which could easily replace
WRKQRY and RUNQRY although I find WRKQRY easier to work with. But that
could just be where I come from. I've been using that since the S/36.

5 - I've not used QU2, but I think your assessment is on the mark. I've
been told you can imbed it into batch processes like query something in
batch and automatically produce a pdf file and email it out but don't take
my word for it. Verify before you buy.

6 - QU2 marketing is like a lot of i5 (no troll comments please) software
marketing nowadays. Give them the software for free (especially if they
are upgrading from a competitors product) then hit them with the
maintenance fee. Remember, no one pays list. List is just out there so
they can milk you dry with a maintenance fee based on x% of list. QU2 is
free to most customers with QU1 but it will raise your software
subscription fee. Also, the free version limits the number of users of
the product drastically. For our 570 we don't even get enough licences to
cover our systems department.

7 - How the blazes would installing them from scratch versus upgrading an
existing machine tell you any of the new features from an older version?
If I put 5722WDS on a new machine, versus an upgrade, would that tell me
what has changed since V3R2? Heck no. All that would tell you is that
the LPP is not called 57##RG1 anymore (where ## is some number). I'd have
to read the "What has changed" part of the RPG Reference. That and what
references I could find that tell me that WDSC is included, etc.