While I know this doesn't have anything to do with system i, I thought it
related to technology, which we all live and breathe everyday. After all,
if we can spend 200 emails on the name of our beloved beast, then why not
ONE email on some quotes about the future. Some are even from people in IBM.
I had this sent to me today, and got a kick out of what people actually
thought years ago.

Enjoy - Pete

PREDICTING THE FUTURE

"Man will never reach the moon regardless of all future scientific
advances." -- Dr. Lee DeForest, Inventor of TV

"The bomb will never go off. I speak as an expert in explosives." -- Admiral
William Leahy, US Atomic Bomb Project

"There is no likelihood man can ever tap the power of the atom." -- Robert
Millikan, Nobel Prize in Physics, 1923

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." -- Popular
Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." -- Thomas
Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the
best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't
last out the year." -- The editor in charge of business books for Prentice
Hall, 1957

"But what ... is it good for?" -- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems
Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." -- Bill Gates, 1981

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a
means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us," --
Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay
for a message sent to nobody in particular?" -- David Sarnoff's associates

"The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to earn better
than a 'C,' the idea must be feasible," -- A Yale University management
professor in response to Fred Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight
delivery service. (Smith went on to found Federal Express Corp.)

"I'm just glad it'll be Clark Gable who's falling on his face and not Gary
Cooper," -- Gary Cooper on his decision not to take the leading role in
"Gone With The Wind."

"A cookie store is a bad idea. Besides, the market research reports say
America likes crispy cookies, not soft and chewy cookies like you make," --
Response to Debbi Fields' idea of starting Mrs. Fields' Cookies.

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out," -- Decca
Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962.

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible," -- Lord Kelvin,
president, Royal Society, 1895.

"If I had thought about it, I wouldn't have done the experiment. The
literature was full of examples that said you can't do this," -- Spencer
Silver on the work that led to the unique adhesives for 3-M "Post-It"
Notepads.

Drill for oil? You mean drill into the ground to try and find oil? You're
crazy," -- Drillers who Edwin L. Drake tried to enlist to his project to
drill for oil in 1859.

"Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau." -- Irving
Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University, 1929.

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value," -- Marechal
Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre.

"Everything that can be invented has been invented," -- Charles H. Duell,
Commissioner, US Office of Patents, 1899.

"The super computer is technologically impossible. It would take all of the
water that flows over Niagara Falls to cool the heat generated by the number
of vacuum tubes required." -- professor of electrical engineering, New York
University

"I don't know what use any one could find for a machine that would make
copies of documents. It certainly couldn't be a feasible business by
itself." -- the head of IBM, refusing to back the idea, forcing the inventor
to found Xerox

"Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction." -- Pierre Pachet,
Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872

"The abdomen, the chest, and the brain will forever be shut from the
intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon," -- Sir John Eric Ericksen,
British surgeon, appointed Surgeon-Extraordinary to Queen Victoria 1873.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." -- Ken
Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977