"System i" is the name that IBM calls it.

i Wish!

I just went to a presentation on some Rational and WebSphere software and
one of the IBM's there doing the presentation mentioned that their
software can help with you "Legacy Code" on your AS/400. That is when I
started filling out the survey form they had. My additional comments were
none to nice about the mention of Legacy and AS/400 specially made to a
room mostly full of xSeries people!!!!

I told them that they (IBM) picked the name and this week it was System i
and it was not a nice thing to do to refer to legacy code and System i in
the same breath. It is no wonder where all the misconceptions come from
about the System i being a legacy system, WHEN IBM CAN'T EVEN GET IT
RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was a week ago and It still makes me mad that IBM is the biggest
spreader of the misconception that System i is "Legacy"!!!!!!!! They
should spend more time and money trainning their people to use the right
terms and updating their knowledge about what the System i can do!

i Didn't pick the name; i Don't like it; but i Sure as the h*ll use it!

Sorry, just had to vent!

Jim Lowary
System Analyst, Salton Inc.
(573) 447-5500

The AS/400 is part of the System i server family. But you cannot buy one
from IBM, so it is not a current System i server, but part of the family.
IBM will sell you a System i5 - which is what yours is - even if it has
the
brand name on it.

And, whether you agree with the name or not - and there are a lot of
people
who think they know better than IBM, "System i" is the name that IBM calls
it. While IBM's marketing has not shown its favoritism of the System i for
many years, there is no going back to iSeries or AS/400. What a marketing
snafu that would be.

As for i5/OS, my V5R4 system has the words "i5/OS Main Menu" on the MAIN
menu. Most of us have asked repeatedly to have this changed, and it seems
that it is - albeit slower than the declining sales percentage.

So, here is another idea. IBM has a slogan "i want an i". Why don't we
just
stop farting around and call it an "i" - it rolls off the tongue better
than
every other choice!