From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Wilt, Charles
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 8:51 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Need ideas for SQL join select to replace logical view

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2007 9:57 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'

You are suggesting storing the same information in two
records. Your
end time of one event is the same as the start time of the
next event.
That's by definition not normalized data, and thus
non-relational in
nature.

Joe,

Not sure I agree with this.

There's a difference between storing the same data in two
places, and storing two separate pieces of data that happen
to have the same value.

As I see it, start time and end time are two different pieces
of information. In the OP's case, a given start time happens
to match a the prior records end time. I don't see that as
violating normalization rules.

Actually, given that BETWEEN is inclusive as you pointed out,
I'd considering setting this up so that the end time didn't
match the next start time. Instead, the start time would be 1
mircosecond greater than the last end time.

Charles

This e-mail transmission contains information that is
intended to be confidential and privileged. If you receive
this e-mail and you are not a named addressee you are hereby
notified that you are not authorized to read, print, retain,
copy or disseminate this communication without the consent of
the sender and that doing so is prohibited and may be
unlawful. Please reply to the message immediately by
informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After
replying, please delete and otherwise erase it and any
attachments from your computer system. Your assistance in
correcting this error is appreciated.

--
This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion