Bradley,
I agree with David Trunbridge's comment regarding the 9-pin cable being
needed so that your i5 will sense when utility power has been lost and
you are now on UPS battery only.

Buy the Eaton Powerware UPS that IBM recommends and get the UPS that is
integrated with the i5.

When we installed a new System I model 520 in July 2006, the technician
mistakenly attached the Powerware 9-pin cable to the wrong port on our
System I, thus negating that communication feature. Our System I was
no longer able to sense when utility power failed, and did not send
messages to QSYSOPR. After we reattached the 9-pin cable to the correct
port on the i5, QSYSOPR began getting the messages again (examples from
2007-09-08 shown below).

+++++++++++++++++++
Message ID . . . . . . : CPF1816 Severity . . . . . . . : 80

Message type . . . . . : Information

Date sent . . . . . . : 09/08/07 Time sent . . . . . . :
15:34:22

Message . . . . : System utility power failed at 070908153422.

+++++++++++++++++
Message ID . . . . . . : CPF1817 Severity . . . . . . . : 60

Message type . . . . . : Information

Date sent . . . . . . : 09/08/07 Time sent . . . . . . :
15:37:18

Message . . . . : System utility power restored at 070908153718.

Recovery . . . : The system power switched to the utility source.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

System value QUPSDLYTIM
Uninterruptible power supply (UPS) delay time. Specifies the amount
of time that elapses before the system automatically powers down
following a power failure. When a change in power activates the
UPS, messages are sent to the UPS message queue (the system value
QUPSMSGQ). This system value is only meaningful if your system has
a battery power unit or has an uninterruptible power supply
attached.

A change to this system value takes effect the next time there is a

power failure. The shipped value is *CALC.