I agree that web pages should be and usually are faster than 3 seconds
I see most in a reasonable time -long enough to notice is reason for
concern.
If the screen is simple - all else equal - the screen will render fast
enough for the most demanding user.

... Let me adjust my thinking away from the "most complex 1-in-a-hundred case.
Same with the exception to the norm/rule -> 10-1 ratio on the most
complex screens. I need to give it more thought - and it depends on
how you load your function key drop downs/ visual components,
(C)hange (R)ead (U)pdate and (D)elete - and New/Add Mode is what I am
thinking about on the browser session.
Your loading 6 drop downs - typically....for an address/part definition screen.
The browser session is more like a 3270 CICS screen than a 5250
screen. We can add a lot of smarts on a client, but is that the right
thing to do?
The only other thing (to me) that really stands out is I/O we may take
for granted, such as receipt or label printing.
Outside of this, the screens I see are typically very well suited to
the work day.