and I would suspect that many ISV's would love to have their
customers on the latest release - but that just isn't the case.

I completely understand the need for ISVs to make money. However, even
so there should be some pressure on customers to upgrade to the latest
i5/OS release.

I've had discussion internally more than once - our sales want to sell
software, our developers don't want to support older releases, and I
don't want to put out fires on a V3R7 system where it takes me a good
hour just to get the appropriate manuals (and then days to get
replacement parts of ebay and similar outlets).

Customers need to be pushed. They're doing the wrong thing - not because
they're incompetent, but because they lack the necessary information in
order to make a proper decision. There _IS_ a valid Business need to be
on the latest stable OS release, and to regularly apply cumulative PTFs.
However, it takes time to tell this to customers as a technician or
developer - this needs to be handled by the sales team too.

What I see as a major problem: While customers usually have a stable
machine that is working reliably since the dawn of time, my perspective
is completely different. I usually see one or two failed systems per
month - this doesn't mean that the System i is unreliable or anything
like that, just that my focus of work centers around "not working
machines".

If Microsoft had been writing Enterprise Servers in the 70's on their
own hardware then I would guess we would be seeing A LOT of Microsoft
servers still running Windows95 - but that just isn't the case.

When I first read this, my reaction was "Bullshit", but you're actually
right.

I still see some infrastructure running on NT4 machines, but never
important business applications.