First, these jobs should not just end. They should get the same MSGW and
wait on a reply to a message queue (normally QSYSOPR). Unless someone has
monkeyed around with setting up default message replies.

Then the trick becomes what is an abnormal end? One would say a job that
ended with a severity greater than 0. However I have seen job logs that
would frighten a commando finally end up with a severity of 0. Basically,
if you monitor for the right messages you can get it to end successfully.

A very stupid shop standard at some places is to begin all CL programs
with a blanket MONMSG CPF0000. Which basically tells it to ignore many of
the most common (and often severe) messages. Originally it might have
been a very simple CL program that someone should have localized the error
like
DLTF TEMPFILE
MONMSG CPF2105 /* File not found, ok we plan on recreating it anyway */

But instead they did something like
MONMSG CPF0000
DLTF TEMPFILE
And now it could end for any number of reasons like not authorized, etc.
and no one would be the wiser. Or, now that the program has expanded, a
totally unrelated error is getting ignored.