Well during a SAVE 21 you don't have access to /QFileSvr.400 because TCP/IP is down. You don't have access to /QNTC because your servers are varied off (and TCP/IP is down.) In addition IBM has built in certain tests in the SAV command that preclude you from backing up stuff that's not on your i. You get a very polite message to the tune of 'None of that stuff was eligible to be saved because it is not require for a system recovery.' This includes QFileSvr.400, NFS mounts, and most of /QNTC. For /QNTC there is an exception when the server is an IXS, or is an IXA or iSCSI attached 'x'.

The original question is will it perform well and can it be done. I have used it with some degree of success. It is not fast but I was working with 200Mhz FC #2850 INS cards. As Chris mentioned it won't handle locks and all that either.
Most of our Windoze integration customers use a combination of saving the qfpnwsstg objects periodically and a WinDOHs based backup software doing backup to disk. The location they back up to is in the IFS of the i5. THIS object is then saved with SAV on the nightly tape. The advantages are several. 1) The backup sits there all day so if Sally smashes her spreadsheet on Saturday it can be restored quickly without searching for and mounting tapes. 2) No additional tape drive or media is required each night, only the i5 save tape. 3) The IXS backup can run any time so long as it's complete before the i5/OS backup gets to the SAV of the backup image.

- Larry

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Don't think it will work. Have you noticed on the GO SAVE option 21 the command for the IFS save only omits /qdls and /QSYS.LIB? And when you run it the process does not save all of your PCs and servers in your network? I think /QFileSvr.400 is self omitting also. Can you imagine? Hey why is the backup on my little 270 taking 100 tapes and the network utilization between my 270 and my 570 going strong?