Hi Adrienne

You will probably find the save process is quicker and more space efficient if you go the SAVRST* route using object connect, albeit that it might take you a little more time to set up and get working.

In your case, FTP requires that you save the file to a SAVF first, thereby using your valuable limited disk space, and then send the file. If you do go this route be sure to use DTACPR(*MEDIUM) as suggested by John as it can save quite a bit of space and will also reduce your transmission time.

On the other hand, the SAVRST* operation will use some disk space while being transmitted, but my observations are that it does not make a complete copy of the object prior to transmission but instead as each chunk is saved it is transmitted and the space re-used for saving the next chunk; essentially the space required for the operation is whatever the buffer size is that SAVRST* uses. You will probably also save some time as the transmission and save operations are occurring more or less in parallel - as one chunk is being saved, another is being sent.

Last but by no means least, it is much easier to monitor for errors in a CL using the SAVRST* commands - using FTP as you have to scan the transmission logt afterwards. You could use Scott Klement's FTPAPI to capture errors in line (and add retry logic if necessary) , but the work to do this will probably outweigh the effort required to set up any ANYNET link to support using SAVRST*.

When the data arrives on your system is there any kind of space limitation at your end ? Can you safely accommodate all the data locally ?

You should consider carefully what the expectation is for this backup data in terms of a recovery situation. I would be reluctant to recommend this as any kind of reliable backup approach, there are just way too many things that could go wrong. I don't know how many objects are involved, but if there are more than a couple of dozen, then you are going to have quite a backup window going on to save and transmit the objects; they will all have to be saved at a common time to be used to restore a whole library for instance. It goes without saying that while you are saving and transmitting the files the application will be down. If the save files on your system are meant to be the primary recovery data then I think you have quite an exposure.

That's not to say none of this can work, like anything it can be made to work and probably work reasonably well with sufficient effort, but it will more than likely require constant monitoring. I like my backups to be as simple as possible - the simpler they are the more likely they are to work if I have to perform a recovery. if however this is just a back-stop measure and you are not required to sign off on recovering the system then go for it.

Regards
Evan Harris