Hi Adrienne

your requirement is a little unusual, so I'm not sure I understand it completely. It sounds like you have 2 iseries boxes local to you (possibly partitions I guess) and one remote iseries; one local machine is connected to the remote machine, but the data you want to send to the remote machine is on the iseries _not_ connected to the remote machine. If this is not your scenario then it seems to me there is no need to have tape involved at all. I am not entirely sure why you want to use virtual tape - it doesn't seem to make sense to my limited understanding of what it can do to use it in this case.

After the save from tape on local machine 1, simply restore the object into local machine 2 in a dummy library and then transfer it to the remote machine using the SAVRSTOBJ command. It seems to me that this would be the most straight forward way to get the file transferred.

Alternatively (presuming space is available) save the file to SAVF on local machine 1 using the compress options to reduce it's size. Restore the SAVF object then transmit it to the other machine via SAVRSTOBJ, or FTP. A SNDNETF will cost you disk space so this might be best avoided.

If the machines are partitions then you can in fact connect to the remote machine using the virtual lan, so there are even more options

If you only have 10 gb space to do this stuff you may be running some risks anyway - what is your storage level and the relative sizes of the machines and data involved ? 10gb seems a very small amount to play with these days.

It might help get more responses if you just describe your scenario without "mixing in" your possible solution. If you have a solution you are working on then provide two descriptions, first what your situation is and what you want to accomplish, secondly how you propose to solve it. I am guessing this might provoke more responses, particularly as virtual tape is a relatively new thing.

Hope this helps, or at least prompts more discussion.

Regards
Evan Harris