Well here's the real deal.

1) There ARE rules which must be followed.
1a) DIMMs must be added in PAIRs or QUADs (varies by system and processor type) These rules simply cannot be broken on i5s because you order one feature code and get either two or four DIMMs depending on the feature. 1b) Memory is required on every processor card in the system. So for an i570 with 8 processors installed (Not activated but installed) you must have at least four memory features - one for each processor card (Two processors per card). For a 520 that means one memory feature minimum. If you break this rule the system is not orderable and will not be built.

2) You order feature codes through your BP. Rochester will NOT substitute memory features to save themselves money. If the features you need are not available your machine won't be built. (This is rare but it happens) If you said "Gimme 8GB Please" and the BP didn't ask you how you wanted that 8GB configured then they screwed up. A competent BP would ask questions like: "Do you expect growth". "Are you terribly scrunched for money" and such. Based on the answers they would suggest lower cost but full slots or higher cost with open slots. On larger machines they may suggest CUOD memory. Either way you still get to make the call.

3) IBM Determines memory placement based on the features you ordered. We had a great discussion with several BP folks and some 'really smart people' in Rochester where we drew all over some, um, 'napkins' :-) After we got done telling them we wanted control over memory placement, and why, they explained not THAT we were wrong but HOW wrong we were! Turns out they do a huge amount of work under the covers to maximize machine throughput which our memory placement would *really mess up. It all has to do with NUMA and which processors are activated when and doing what. To quote my favorite Vulcan: 'Fascinating.'

So the short of it is the BP screwed up because Rochester built what was ordered. Rochester ALWAYS Builds what was ordered. We at Frankenseries.com, however, build whatever the heck we please. And sometimes we pay for that.

- Larry

Brian wrote:
Rob,

The machine was checked when it arrived and that is when the conversations
with the BP, AvNet and Rochester occured. I don't specify part numbers;
that's the BP's job. I tell the BP what I want and it's their job to run it
through the IBM configurator and if necessary, hand tune the
configuration to get the results I specified. We have our specifications in
writing and could have pressed the issue but my boss said to just let it go
since it would cost more in wasted time to fight it than it would cost to
just replace the memory. However, IBM and the BP definately lost some
goodwill here.

Kind regards,

BJ