Hi Tom,

Good points. Of course, the member into the member copy should be ok when using the TOOBJ instead of TODIR, and the REPLACE(*YES) parm. Note that the TOOBJ parm allows a directory path as well as an object name, e.g.

CPY OBJ('/home/pdow/atest1.txt') TOOBJ('/home/subdir1/subdir2/atest2.txt')

so this

CPY OBJ('/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB/DELETEME.FILE/DELETEME.MBR')
TODIR('/QFileSvr.400/GDIHQ/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB/DELETEME.FILE/DELETEME.MBR')

should've been

CPY OBJ('/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB/DELETEME.FILE/DELETEME.MBR')
TOOBJ('/QFileSvr.400/GDIHQ/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB/DELETEME.FILE/DELETEME.MBR')

and if the TOOBJ already existed, the REPLACE(*YES) parm should've allowed successful completion.

Windows drag-n-drop doesn't allow name changes, and probably isn't a good comparison to a command. The COPY command is a better comparison, except it can copy a Word document into what appears to be an executble but isn't, e.g.

   COPY WORD.DOC WORD.EXE

CPY has to be smarter than that, but even COPY can't copy WORD.DOC to a directory of the same name, it would copy it _into_ the directory; nor the reverse (copying a directory to a text file). Given that, it's not surprising that

CPY OBJ('/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB/DELETEME.FILE/DELETEME.MBR')
        TODIR('/QFileSvr.400/GDIHQ/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB/DELETEME.FILE')

worked when there was no DELETEME member in the DELETEME file. And probably would've worked if the member already existed if REPLACE(*YES) had been specified.

What I would expect to work is

CPY OBJ('/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB/DELETEME.FILE')
        TODIR('/QFileSvr.400/GDIHQ/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB')

or even

CPY OBJ('/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB')
        TODIR('/QFileSvr.400/GDIHQ/QSYS.LIB')

Granted that QSYS.LIB is quite a bit different from any of the other file systems, but CPY handles it to some degree, so why not completely? Maybe even to the degree of being able to

CPY OBJ('/QSYS.LIB/SOMELIB.LIB/SOMEPGM.PGM')
        TODIR('/QFileSvr.400/RMTSYS/temp')

and back

CPY OBJ('/QFileSvr.400/RMTSYS/temp/SOMEPGM.PGM')
        TODIR('/QSYS.LIB/SOMELIB.LIB/SOMEPGM.PGM')

as long as no changes were made to it on the remote system. If not program objects, then perhaps data areas, user spaces, data queues, etc. I mean, if you're going to call it an integreated file system, then integrate it!

Which brings up the subject my buddy & I have agreed to disagree on -- is QSYS.LIB in the IFS or is the IFS in QSYS.LIB?

*Peter Dow* /
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 793-9050
pdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:pdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> /