rob wrote:

CPY OBJ('/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB/DELETEME.FILE/DELETEME.MBR')
TODIR('/QFileSvr.400/GDIHQ/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB') CPFA0A2-Information passed to this operation was not valid.

This one is getting the DELETEME.MBR object and trying to copy it to the .../ROBDELME.LIB path. Members can't go in libraries; they must go into files. I.e., from the IFS perspective, a library is a container (directory) which can contain either objects of certain types or a certain type of subdirectory. Those subdirectories have the .FILE extension. A library container is not allowed to hold members.

CPY OBJ('/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB/DELETEME.FILE/DELETEME.MBR') TODIR('/QFileSvr.400/GDIHQ/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB/DELETEME.FILE/DEL ETEME.MBR') CPFA0AB-Operation failed for object. Object is /QFileSvr.400/GDIHQ/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB/DELETEME.FILE/DELETEME.MBR/DE LETEME.MBR.

This one is trying to copy the DELETEME.MBR object into the .../DELETEME.MBR path. Again, members can't go into members; they must go into files.

The TODIR() parameter specifies the target directory. For a source object with the .MBR extension, the valid target directory can only be one that ends with a .FILE extension because those are the only kind of directory that can contain members.

The CPY command attempts to create a new object in the target directory, so there can't be a member already there with the same name. The TOOBJ() parameter allows you to specify a name change.

In Windows with drag-n-drop, you can't copy a directory into a Word document nor can you copy a Word document into an executable program. Not much different. The GUI is more responsive and intuitive than CPY; but the COPY command can be played with from a Windows command line to see similar behavior to CPY. (I don't know the COPY rules in much detail, but I'd be surprised if it allowed a directory path to be contained within a .DOC file other than as a simple text string. Maybe.)

Tom Liotta