No, and this was on a pair of V5R4 machines.

CPY OBJ('/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB') TODIR('/QFileSvr.400/GDIHQ/QSYS.LIB')
CPFA0D4
Message . . . . :   Object is a directory.  Object is
/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB.
Cause . . . . . :   The operation expected an object which is not a
directory.
  Object /QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB is a directory.
Recovery  . . . :   Determine the correct name for the object and retry
the
  operation.

I tried this:
MD '/QFileSvr.400/GDIHQ/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB'
CPY OBJ('/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB/*')
TODIR('/QFileSvr.400/GDIHQ/QSYS.LIB/*')
CPFA089
Message . . . . :   Pattern not allowed in path name.
Cause . . . . . :   You specified a pattern in path name
  /QFileSvr.400/GDIHQ/QSYS.LIB/*, but a pattern is not allowed.
Recovery  . . . :   Specify the complete path name and try the request
again.

So, then I remembered that I shouldn't specify a pattern on TODIR.  So I
changed it to:
CPY OBJ('/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB/*') TODIR('/QFileSvr.400/GDIHQ/QSYS.LIB')
CPFA0DA-Object is a directory.  Object is
/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB/DELETEME.FILE.
You may be wondering how a PF can be a directory.  It's composed of
members within that directory.  For example, if you look at
WRKLNK '/QSYS.LIB/MYLIB.LIB/QCLSRC.FILE/*'
where MYLIB is replaced, what do you see?
Object link            Type
.                      FILE
..                     LIB
$SND.MBR               MBR