Thanks for the effort Rob. How about 1 more step -- try to copy a file member? In any case, it appears that the QSYS.LIB is not very well integrated into the Integrated File System...at least not via QFileSvr.400.

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
No, and this was on a pair of V5R4 machines.

CPY OBJ('/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB') TODIR('/QFileSvr.400/GDIHQ/QSYS.LIB')
CPFA0D4
Message . . . . : Object is a directory. Object is /QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB. Cause . . . . . : The operation expected an object which is not a directory. Object /QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB is a directory. Recovery . . . : Determine the correct name for the object and retry the operation.
I tried this:
MD '/QFileSvr.400/GDIHQ/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB'
CPY OBJ('/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB/*') TODIR('/QFileSvr.400/GDIHQ/QSYS.LIB/*')
CPFA089
Message . . . . : Pattern not allowed in path name. Cause . . . . . : You specified a pattern in path name /QFileSvr.400/GDIHQ/QSYS.LIB/*, but a pattern is not allowed. Recovery . . . : Specify the complete path name and try the request again.

So, then I remembered that I shouldn't specify a pattern on TODIR. So I changed it to:
CPY OBJ('/QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB/*') TODIR('/QFileSvr.400/GDIHQ/QSYS.LIB')
CPFA0DA-Object is a directory. Object is /QSYS.LIB/ROBDELME.LIB/DELETEME.FILE. You may be wondering how a PF can be a directory. It's composed of members within that directory. For example, if you look at
WRKLNK '/QSYS.LIB/MYLIB.LIB/QCLSRC.FILE/*'
where MYLIB is replaced, what do you see?
Object link            Type
.                      FILE
.. LIB $SND.MBR MBR $SNDL.MBR MBR ACCTDELC.MBR MBR ADDBKP.MBR MBR APYRMTPTFC.MBR MBR ASTSNDMSG.MBR MBR AUDLIBALL.MBR MBR ...