OK Why don't more people do this:

One of my customers set the computer room air conditioning unit inside their warehouse next to an exterior wall. They built an insulated box over the unit with about three feet on all sides and top. They set the thing up so that there was always one side of the box missing. In the summer the missing side was the exterior of the building so basically it worked just like normal. It was however out of the rain and the sun. Since the hot air ejects out the top of the unit a 'deflector' was installed to direct the hot air out the open side. In the winter the movable side was moved to the outside of the building exposing the unit to the warehouse. The deflector was flipped as well to direct the air into the warehouse. Thus the heat from the computer room was dumped into the warehouse all winter. Of course this could be done with the unit outside the building as well whichever works best in your setting.

This has at least three advantages that I can see. 1) The unit doesn't see rain and sun and rusty sprinkler water. 2) The unit never gets frozen to the point where it can't work. 3) All the heat from the computer room is utilized to heat the warehouse rather than attempting to heat the great outdoors (which several of us have noticed recently doesn't work!) They did the math and figured something like $5,000 per year was saved in heating expense for the warehouse. Of course maintenance to the unit is easier too because it's readily accessible from ground level and isn't surrounded by bushes or up on a 130 degree roof in the summer. The A/C guys loved it.

I guess it baffles me that good HVAC guys haven't figured out how to dump computer room heat into the building's heating system at times when the building can use the heat. With the heat many of these rooms generate you'd think it a no brainer. I do know that Steelcase, the world's largest office furniture company, uses the heat from their computer room and other building heat to heat their corporate offices. In the summer they dump the heat into huge water tanks under the front lawn during the day and then chill those back down at night when the air is cooler and the electricity is cheaper. This of course is the 'advanced course' in energy management and they did it way back in the early 80s.

- Larry

Denis Robitaille wrote:
Here in Canada, we are currently facing this situation. The computer
room is open and we have fan in it. Strange to explain to my boss that
it is too cold outside to be able to cool inside.
Denis Robitaille
Directeur services technique TI
819 363 6130