On 1/24/07, albartell <albartell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I think it is a real shame that IBM does this, since the 600 CPW are way
underpowered and slow (The minimum requirements for a one developer
workspace for WAS is _twice_ that) - but also very expensive.

That is interesting because from what I understand much of IBM's System i5
new lines of business aren't selling boxes for people recently adopting RPG
but instead those wanting to run their Java web app on solid scalable
hardware.  Maybe they figure nobody buying an entry level machine will want
to run Java web apps?

I think IBM figures it cant compete whereever MSFT is: OS, run times
and languages.  check out this latest from MSFT:
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2007/01/23/asp-net-ajax-1-0-released.aspx

Where IBM thinks it can make money is consulting and applications.
The i5 is a part of this because it can run an application/solution
with a minimum of admin.   The problem with this is if you are an IBM
customer who wants to program your own applications - because the
system is so slow it make little sense to code the app for the as400.

-Steve