I taught at a community college for a long time. We had distance
learning and had students from all over the country. Taught RPG, CL,
Concepts...stuff like that. But you're right Joe - we taught
operations to local students only. Had 'em doing backups and swapping
tapes and changing forms and configuring workstations and
communications. And student registration levels were low to moderate.

Sigh...that was fun...but the CC essentially dropped all the iSeries
courses. Then they increased the MS courses (Excel, Word,
programming). And student registrations went through the roof. And
that served that community better. It filled a greater need.

On 1/24/07, Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: albartell
>
> I am still waiting for them to come up with a solution to get free access
> people in the community similar to the Virtual Loaner Program (VLP) that I
> have used - though you need to be selling a product to use that service.
> Just think if students at a university could gain qualified(*) access to a
> System i5 to do their enterprise Java web development!

It's easier than that, Aaron.  Just stick an iSeries in every university
with an IT degree.  They could charge for syllabus material if they wanted;
Universities typically pass that cost directly to the students.  They might
even provide teachers for some subjects.  And then they could get RPG into
the schools as well.

Then again, with high-speed Internet access it might be easier to just take
a few big machines and make them accessible to lots of campuses VLP style
(and then still charge for the syllabuses and/or teachers).  There would
certainly be fewer maintenance issues.  But it would be a little harder to
teach operations classes in those cases.

Joe