Steve--

I don't see the point of some of your wishes:

long object and field names

Maybe 10 characters is a little short, but you can't tell me that making a name longer than 10 characters will improve programming! You can be obscure in any language. COBOL has had long names for years. Names like "Input-File-Customer-Number" may sound appealing, but once you get into a calculation, it quickly becomes a problem because you get a massive run-on sentence: "(input-file-quantity-ordered x part-master-file-selling-price x customer-contract-file-special-discount-percentage = line-item-discount-price)."

add XML support to DB2. Decouple db2 from i5/OS.

One of the advantages of the i5/OS IS the integration of the OS, database, and security system. Decoupling just opens the door to 3rd party data base 'solutions,' which would not be able to use the security system as we have it today. The main problem now is the security of the IFS not matching the integrated file system (although it does a good job, given the fact that IBM has to be compatible with the outside world).

Scrap spooled files. replace with XML documents.

This is good because?? The main issue I have with spooled files is that the integration with forms overlays could be a lot better-- easier translation into PDF-with-overlay is one area where we're using 3rd party 'solutions' that require external servers.

A spooled file is a snapshot of your data at a moment in time. If I understand the XML concept correctly, you're creating a dynamic document that shows the data as it exists "now." Accounting departments -need- the moment-in-time snapshots to prove what happened.

expand pointer size so the 16meg limit on spaces and strings can be
eliminated. or scrap/redo the single level store architecture.
Possibly, limitations and security problems of the SLS is what is
preventing IBM from investing in our system.  You dont need the SLS to
get the features of i5/OS.

The single-level-store is one of the advantages of the OS! The main advantage is that I can take a backup tape from -any- i/5, AS/400, or System/38 and restore that tape on any of today's hardware (as long as there's enough disk space). I don't have to worry about drive names, numbers, buss position, controller connections, or anything else. It loads, and I can run the programs!

Perhaps it's because the integration and SLS are so easy to administer that IBM doesn't push the system-- they don't want to cut into their consulting business!

a garbage collection memory model that holds objects. this means you
need a facility for defining and storing object types. ( you need a
reflection type facility for calling the dispose method of the object.
)   One use of something like this would be system APIs would return
objects that are typed, that are self describing. In the case of a
list objects API, the system would return an object that is holds an
indexed array with the capacity to list all the objects on the system.

I'm not as far into OS modeling as you are-- but doesn't QTEMP handle a LOT of the garbage collection on the i5?

etc, etc. most important, if the system was able to run at p5 speeds
and prices, 3rd parties could provide a lot of what is needed to
improve the OS and language support.

I'm not sure I want 3rd parties poking at my OS!

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx