Hi:

After an exciting demo was well received, I installed the WDSc client on
most of our programmers' PCs. The installation per se seemed to go well,
but it took quite a long time on each machine. That's because the program
is an absolute leviathan (no wonder there is a DVD option). We tested a
number of features and they looked promising. Things seemed awfully slow
at times, even on the PC that was upgraded the most recently. OK, there is
more than enough potential bang for the buck to justify some occasional
chugging.

As soon as we tried to run compiles or anything actually productive, we
started getting hard halts (PC side). Then came the dawning realization
that nobody, anywhere, seems to know everything needed to make the ~!@#
thing WORK. Even sent one member of the department to a Chicago area user
group at which the erstwhile Mr. Pluta was the featured speaker. She asked
if there is a list ... a web site ... a person ... from whom or from which
we can find exactly what all the requirements are to run WDSc (installed
software, system values, etc.). To date, no joy.

The best we can do seems to be the "fix the current error then see what
the next error is" approach; very much akin to the "debug by compiling"
approach. We don't have time for that, especially when we can't find any
documentation on the current error [wry grin]. Yes, we eventually solved
each problem, at least until we gave up. But everyone in our organization
who was testing WDSc has shrugged and gone back to SEU/PDM. There may be
one or two who use WDSc for some "views", but there is no buzz about the
program anymore.

Darrell

Darrell A. Martin  -  630-754-2187
Manager, Computer Operations