To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2006 11:05 PM
Subject: Re: Saving the System i: Fight Rather Than Switch

Trevor,

 I think that we can all agree that the Midrange faithful have been
trying to get the word out for 15+ years.  What's missing from the
marketing equation is IBM.  If IBM can't step up the plate and show
the world that they are proud of this system, then how are we to be
expected to overcome it?

 You say "step up" - what do you propose?  That we take up a
collection to tell the world the new name and how great the system
is?  Yeah, we whine about what IBM should be doing, because we're the
guys in the field and IBM IS NOT LISTENING TO US!!!

 I have no problem calling the system by any name that gets the
point across.  But, to think that that is the root cause, or even a
major cause of the failure to market this box, is to delude ourselves.

 I must disagree about "Vernacular is everything."  As I mentioned
before, if the major modernization gaps have  not been filled, then
we can call it by any name, past present or futuristic and it
wouldn't make one bit of difference.

 -mark