From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of albartell
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2006 10:03 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: Setting up user security on development machine

Hi all,

I have been doing a lot of reading at the following link:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/rbapk
/rbapkpart.htm

I am looking for the best approach in applying security to a development
machine where I will have a small handful of trusted in-house developers
working on it and then also the occasional consultant.

Known Requirement #1
At times there will be projects where an NDA is signed and work for that
project will be done in a particular library (possibly contain some of the
customers code that we are interfacing with).  Without going into the
details of a particular NDA I am dealing with, one of my requirements will
be to lock down this library so only the programmer that is working on it
has access to it.  This would then also include only allowing that
programmer to view their spool files (compile results).

Known Requirement #2
For when I have occasional consultants on the machine I would only want them
to be able to operate in the library I gave them access to and not other
libraries or spool files.

Right now I am at security level 40 which from what I read seems to be the
right fit (level 50 looks to be over the top for my needs).  My basic needs
are to allow one group of people access to most all libraries except a few,
and the opposite of that, allow access to a single library/splf's and
nothing else.  From what I understand I do not want to give out *ALLOBJ
authority because then people can just grant authority to themselves if they
don't have authority to something.  I don't want to hand out *IOSYSCFG even
though that would be handy for programmers when they need to do stuff with
the HTTP *ADMIN server.  I am basically looking for a solid combination of
authorities that a typical programmer profile should have.

The aforementioned link gives a lot of good info, and I am learning a lot,
but I have yet to find a "best practices" or tutorial type approach to
implementing user profile security for OS/400 objects/commands.  Are there
any that someone could suggest?

TIA,
Aaron Bartell