Mark,

You make a number of interesting points, but in the interest of time, I
would like to focus on this very important one...

This means the problem is entirely composed of internal
users and controllable.
They sign the employment agreement for responsible
behavior with
corporate assets. <snip>

The information in our security study is heavily slanted towards
exploits (intentional or accidental) that would most likely be
perpetrated by employees, customers, vendors, etc. who already have
access to the corporate network.  This study does not indicate that
OS/400 is open to wild technological attacks from brilliant 13 year olds
coming across the internet from the other side of the earth.

The problems are primarily (though not exclusively) from internal users,
but that by itself does not make it entirely controllable.  A signed
agreement will not prevent system unavailability due to lost or damaged
data that is the result of a error by a user wielding too much power.
The signed agreement will give you prosecutorial rights against a
malicious person, but that is typically small comfort when your systems
team has spent days recovering data, or your company is front page news
because you had a major breach.

A signed agreement is an effort in prevention, but it is possibly the
lowest possible barrier.  IMHO, it is far more effective to use
technology measures to enforce prevention efforts than to rely on
threats of law suits and prosecution.

Is i5 security simply a matter of internal priorities?
And the focus
of the article perhaps far too narrow. Would it not be
more credible
with two sources one being the audit team or enterprise
assessment
rather than an i5 only audit?

We do what we can.  To my knowledge our study is the only quantifiable
measure of OS/400 security practices that is available.  If someone else
were doing a similar study, we could compare the two and surely come up
with an even more insightful view on OS/400 security practices.  But
today, the PowerTech study is the only one I know of that is available.

Might the real question(s) be:
#1 - Is the reason that i5 is neglected because it is not
problematic,
out of scope - year after year? In that same meeting
everyone notes
concerns about the weekly Microsoft catastrophe?
-Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I think you are right on target here.  Everyone knows Windows systems
have security problems and need attention, and organizations spend loads
of time, money, and people on the problem.  OS/400 does not squeak
nearly as loud, and so organizations can get lulled into a false sense
of security.  They shouldn't be.  It's a computer system. It has
valuable data (arguably more important data than Windows systems).  It
should be properly protected from loss, damage and theft.

jte

--
John Earl | Chief Technology Officer
The PowerTech Group

This email message and any attachments are intended only for the use of
the intended recipients and may contain information that is privileged
and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any
dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you
received this email message in error, please immediately notify the
sender by replying to this email message, or by telephone, and delete
the message from your email system.