Vern

From: Pete Hall <pbhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

For a one off situation, the process I use is like this:
1. Save the worksheet as a tab delimited text file on a network share or
my iSeries home directory, where it's accessible to the iSeries.
2. Delete header rows and any blank rows at the end of the file
3. Remove/normalize quotes - Excel will enclose strings containing
embedded quote marks with quotes, and double the embedded quotes. I use
a little awk script to fix them. I've included it at the end of this
message.
3. Create a database table that matches the fields in the tab delimited
file.
4. Use the CPYFRMIMPF command to copy the tab delimited file to the
database, something like this:
CPYFRMIMPF FROMSTMF('/home//')
TOFILE(ARGETLIB/TARGETFILE)
MBROPT(*REPLACE)
RCDDLM(*CRLF)
STRDLM(*NONE)
FLDDLM(*TAB)
DATFMT(*USA)
RPLNULLVAL(*FLDDFT)

Here's the awk script:
BEGIN {
# Tab delimited file
FS="\t";
OFS="\t";
}
/./ {
# For each field in the current record
for (i=1;i<=NF;i++) {
# Remove the first and last character from the field
# only if both are quotes.
if (($i ~ /^\"/) && ($i ~ /\"$/)) {
# Remove the beginning quote
gsub("^\"","",$i);
# Remove the ending quote
gsub("\"$","",$i);
}
# Replace multiple contiguous quotes with a single quote
gsub("\"+","\"",$i);
}
print;
}

--

Pete Hall
pbhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

sunny singh wrote:
good morning everybody

i have a prob.suppose i have my data on an excel sheet and i want to use
that data data in my rpg program. how can i copy that data into the pf.or
what
should be the best method to do so.
please help me out o find the right answer.
thank you