 wrote on Tue, 08 Aug 2006 20:28:52 GMT:

Instead of skipping critical objects (current technique)
that are locked by these particular jobs we thought of
changing from SAVACT(*NO) to SAVACT(*SYSDFN).

I'm sure Al will correct me.....

In V5R4, *SYSDFN works much like the *LIB entry for SAVACT of
previous releases.  This means the SAVLIB job will attempt to get
a checkpoint across all objects within the library and if it
can't, it will create multiple checkpoints, or if there are too
many objects, it will create multiple checkpoints to avoid those
object limits.

As with all SWA processing, you have control over the the amount
of time it will wait while trying acquire the checkpoint.  At the
end of the wait period, if checkpoint can't be obtained, the
object/file is skipped.

In previous releases, *SYSDFN did not attempt to mimic *LIB and
simply did things its own way.  Meaning, you couldn't really
figure out all that was part of the same checkpoint and this left
you at risk of having the order header out of sync with the order
detail in the event of a restore.  This is less likely to happen
in V5R4 and later releases (unless it gets changed again!) when
all the files reside in the same library.

HTH,