I'll give you some details as to why you are getting that detailed error
message.

You are mapped to the QDLS directory.  Along with the performance hit
experienced by using this legacy directory you also take a hit on your
naming conventions.  You are limited to the old DOS 8.3 naming convention.
 When you use a tool like Windows to create a new folder it tries to name
the new folder "New Folder" and you are expected to rename it.  However
any attempt to create a folder named "New Folder" will tell you to suck
rocks because it doesn't fit the 8.3 naming convention.

You have these solutions:
1 - WRKFLR  and create a new folder name that way.
2 - WRKLNK '/QDLS' and create a subdirectory underneath that.
3 - The strongly recommended method of stop using the QDLS directory and
create a new share on a new directory.
4 - Instead of using a GUI tool on your PC, Do the following:  Start, Run,
cmd, enter.  At the DOS prompt that shows up do:
I:
and then use MD to make your new directory.

By the way, CD and MD will work on the i5 command line.