From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve Richter
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 10:21 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Help required to stop this company replacing their iSeries

Let's hope the new sales managers at IBM, coming from the successful
p5 division of the company, will merge the i5 with the p5 and allow
i5/OS to run in a p5 partition. Overnight that would grow the i5/OS
market to millions? of installed p5 systems and give programmers a
reason to learn to program our system.

Here is a recent Timothy Prickett Morgan article on the new sales managers:

http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh062606-story02.html

IBM last week announced that it has appointed a new director of sales
for the System i platform with regards to the business partner and
independent software vendor channel. As has been the case for a number
of years, Peter Small, who starts work this week, hails from IBM's
Unix sales team, and Big Blue is hoping that the experience that Small
has will help the company and its partners better peddle the i5/OS
platform.

A year ago, Mark Shearer, general manager of the System i division,
appointed Bill Donohue as vice president of worldwide sales for the
product line. Small has not replaced Donohue, but rather works for
him, specifically interfacing with the reseller partners and the ISVs
that are more or less responsible for about 85 percent of OS/400 and
i5/OS platform sales each year.

"Peter was tremendously successful in his previous position leading
and developing the worldwide sales teams responsible for the System p
business," said Donohue in a statement accompanying the announcement.
"On a personal level, I worked with Peter back when he ran the System
p Americas team and saw first hand the enormous impact this man made,
taking Unix market share from last to first. I passionately believe he
will do the same to System i."