Larry Bolhuis <lbolhuis@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yep Brian is right. The plastic 'tunnel' is to make sure that a portion of the rear fan's air is pulled across the processor.
. . .
I've never heard of the memory slot 'blanks' called dentures. I like it!!

I kind of figured the white box was something like that. Hmm. A 170 has, in effect, a small wind tunnel inside. Then again, now that I think about it, I've seen some odd-looking ductwork inside some WinDoze boxes, too.

As to the "dentures," well, it's a long story. Many, many years ago, back when the Mac Plus was top-of-the-line, and DOS machines were exactly that, and the Los Angeles Unified School District was putting Apple //c machines (with lockdown devices that probably cost more than the computers were worth) in classrooms, and I was having to fix them (clean the eraser crumbs out of the ones from Olive Vista Jr. High, put new analog cards in the internal floppy drives on units where people were using Disk-2-compatible external drives with non-keyed adapter plugs, and plugging them in backwards, break out the oscilloscope to realign abused drives, &c.), 5 1/4" floppy drives used to come with little cards you stuck in the drives for shipping, and 3 1/2" drives had similar protective devices, only they were made of plastic. The Senior Electronics and Alarm Planner was the Macintosh guru (he gave me my first introduction to the self-parody fun you can have with ResEdit, and built dual-internal-floppy Mac Pluses a full year before the Mac SE came out) referred to the plastic ones for 3 1/2" drives as "dentures," and now I apply that term to anything similar (e.g., the thing that goes in the PCMCIA slot of our videoprojector, or the things I pulled out of the SIMM slots yesterday.)

Incidentally, earlier in this thread, somebody referred to the SIMMs as "memory sticks." Memory sticks are something entirely different, i.e., a type of card that goes into Sony digital cameras.

--
JHHL