Hi:

Not an English major, but a former proofreader.

When a word like "out" is used adverbially to modify a verb like "wore",
creating a verb phrase such as "wore out" with a meaning distinct from the
two words considered apart, it is important for clarity that one not
separate the two words of the phrase. So, your second sentence example,
"When I wore out the one I got from IBM ..."  is the better of the two.

This is even more fun than catching sentence-ending prepositions with.

Darrell

Darrell A. Martin  -  754-2187
Manager, Computer Operations
dmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Wilt, Charles" <CWilt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
06/24/2006 09:28 AM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Memory installation in a 170?

David,

Nice catch....I didn't read far enough through Larry's post.

So the out's there.  The question becomes is the "out" in the right
place?

Any English majors available to determine which sentence is more
correct?

"When I wore the one I got from IBM out I went to my favorite Hardware
store."

"When I wore out the one I got from IBM I went to my favorite Hardware
store."

And now back to my v5r4 upgrade....

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America