James,

It's a defense-in-depth issue.  Yes IBM has a very strong point.  The
first defense in configuring security on your data is to secure the data
properly with object level authority.  If a person does not need access to
a database then secure them out of it.  However, if your application is a
legacy application, or is written by people with a legacy frame of mind,
then they probably wrote their 5250 based programs with the assumption
that the users will have *ALL object authority on the files.  They
probably did NOT write their programs with an "application only" frame of
mind.  An application only frame of mind says that the users will have no
access to the data.  They will only have use access to the programs.  And
the programs will adopt the necessary authority to get to the data.
Ok, so now the barn door has been left open.  Now the users can get to the
data any way they want to.  Assuming the 5250 based programs do not allow
them access to a command line and do a reasonable job - in that
environment - yet ignored other environments, then it is up to you to use
Application Administration or a solution from an Exit Point Security
Vendor to lock up the myriad other ways they can get to the data.

If you really study Application Administration, I fail to see how a
windows registry patch can get them in.  You configure Application
Administration from your PC.  And it will affect that user from regardless
which PC he logs into.

I've personally written some exit points.  There's no way a windows
registry patch is getting past those.