Don't get a customer into a multiple ASP setup just for the reason you're
describing below...

             Pete Helgren
             <Pete@xxxxxxxxxx>
             midrange-l-bounce         Midrange Mailing List
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            <MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             06/07/2006 09:39                                      Subject
             PM                        Changing a RAID configuration -
                                       Adding/removing disks

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

I have a customer with a new i5 520 that we added 4 drives to.  It
originally had 4 drives and we added 4 more.  The problem is that I
added the new units to the existing ASP (1) and it turns out the new
drives were a different size and model than the original 4 so they
couldn't be added to the RAID parity set. I need to correct this before
we go into production.

So, what I'd like to do is get these new drives as part of a protected
raid set.  Current disk protection status is:

             Serial                  Resource
 ASP  Unit   Number      Type Model  Name        Protection
   1                                             Unprotected
         1   68-0D9C14B  4326  074   DD002       Device Parity
         2   68-0DD6772  4326  074   DD004       Device Parity
         3   68-0DD7645  4326  074   DD003       Device Parity
         4   68-0DD75EF  4326  074   DD005       Device Parity
         5   68-0DCE4C6  4327  050   DD008       Unprotected
         6   68-0DCB227  4327  050   DD001       Unprotected
         7   68-0DCF3A4  4327  050   DD006       Unprotected
         8   68-0DCD5D9  4327  050   DD007       Unprotected

I think I can make the 4327 drives part of a different ASP and then they
can be part of a RAID set (correct?)  The storage controller displays as
a 573D when I use Work with Storage Resources.  Or, is there a better
way to do this?  Also, I have typically worked with smaller system that
have only one ASP, is there a downside to multiple ASP's?

If I do remove the 4327's from ASP 1 and create a new ASP, how do I move
data off of them?

Just need a few pointers on how to proceed.

Pete Helgren